Thursday, November 11, 2010

Real World

So, let me set the scene for you! I am currently sitting in my sweet sitting room (which Tyler just painted and surprised me with), with Christmas music playing, a book, my Bible, fresh coffee and one of my favorite candles. This time is precious!

I must admit I've felt a little out of touch with myself lately. I can never quite put my finger on it, but sometimes I think I just get lost in the hustle and bustle of the real world. Hopefully others can relate. So, this got me thinking about the real world in general and how to also retain and nurture all the things that make me, well, me! First of all, I'd like to say I'm pretty sure no one is adequately prepared for the real world. It's such a shift from the days of growing up and college and the transition is something people in general don't seem to address. I have a few small tips (and things I need to remind myself of) in the midst of it all, so here goes:

1. Always look to try new things. Even in very small ways. Switch up your lunch break for instance. Eat fast and go browse through an antique store. Mixing it up makes you feel like you're experiencing things rather than just eating for an hour.

2. Plan fun things for week nights! This one is huge for me. We all live for the weekends (if we're honest with ourselves), but why not mix in some fun during the week?

3. Try new projects. This is one I really need to work on. Sometimes I'm just so tired and spent at the end of the work day, but taking a few minutes to do something creative is energizing!

4. Talk with friends throughout the week! This has always been important to me. I also think it's important in the hustle of everything to keep in touch with people you care about and expand your view! It's nice to hear what's going on in other lives in other parts of the world.

5. Enjoy the little things! Sometimes that's all there is during the week, and that's ok :)

So, that's it! I'm going to try to take my own advice now (never easy!)

1 comment:

  1. #1 and #3 are my guiding principles in life!! I could never keep a routine and I totally believe in doing something creative every day. Hence the blog.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin